Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Lousiana Christmas

So we bought a new van and we drove to Baton Rouge. Yes, I think we were not thinking too clearly at the time. Driving it instantly aged me 10 years, but it is such a practical car. It took over 20 hours each way to drive. It was funny when we had 4 more hours to go it felt like we were in the home stretch, "We are almost there!" It is all perspective. The DVD player in the van was a huge hit. This is a picture of the kids washing the car while we were in Lousiana. Note: the weather was fantastic!


:) If you could just sleep another 10 hours that would make this whole experience a little easier.


We went to a nature preserve center near grandpa's house (also near the Baton Rouge LDS temple). Caleb touched a couple snakes. He was proud of himself.


Our nature hike. The kids kept asking if we would see an alligator. Thank goodness alligators are dormant this time of year, or I would have been a wreck.


Maisy, Emmy, Paul, and Caleb. Speaking of wrecks, if you will notice on the right side of the photo there is no guardrail below the upper one. Bekah and I were constantly worried that the little ones were going to walk right off the boardwalk and into the swamp. As soon as we were off the boardwalk we sighed relief, and then Maisy instantly stepped into a patch of poison ivy. Relief dissipated.


It is tradition to visit Mike-the-Tiger the LSU mascot whenever we visit. The kids love it.


Mike was very playful that day and the kids were hyper. I dare you to run in 100 circles.


Then we took all the kids to see grandma. Emmy, Neela, Grandma, Maisy, Paul, Camille, and Caleb. Merry Christmas!


I guess we can't all be happy all the time.


She did not care for the swing. What kid doesn't like swings?


We went to the New Orleans Children's Museum. It was a lot of fun. The kids liked to shop in the grocery section.


Paul enjoyed shopping for crab and all the other types of sea food they had there. The museum had an entire nautical exhibit. I thought it was cool.


There was a restaurant as well. The kids prepared what I ordered and I was served in the dining area. They had a good time.


This is an example of what a color blindness test looks like to someone who can see colors normally.


This is what it might look like to someone who is color blind. They can't see the number 5, just dots. We have had Paul tested in the past with these, but was still learning his numbers.


At the museum they had a section about the eyes and had a LARGE picture in one of these tests. I took Paul over to it because this would be his first time doing the test with objects he can for sure recognize like a car, a plane, a smiley face, etc. This is a rough depiction of what the picture the New Orleans Children's museum had in color blindness dots. Paul could only see the squiggly lines at the bottom corners (the control that everyone can see). Caleb could see all the pictures. So Paul is for sure color blind and Caleb is not. Paul understands that he can't see colors correctly. When he gets a color wrong he'll say, "that's okay because my eyes see colors different."

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Wow, that is so mature of Paul to be able to understand how his eyes are different! I have had a lot of male friends who were color blind... I think it is pretty common among boys/men.