Saturday, January 24, 2009

My Phone Broke

I keep missing a lot of your phone calls so I am posting about my phone. My phone broke and it's not repairable. I can take incoming calls, but I can't make outgoing calls. The buttons stopped working and since I can answer my phone without pushing a button I can take calls. However, the volume is turned down and I'm missing a lot of your calls. So, if I don't hear it ring or if I don't get to the phone in time and you leave a message - I can't check the message and I can't call you back (nor can I adjust the volume). Until I get a new phone, just keep calling. Sorry

I am feeling very disconnected from everyone because I can't use my phone. I probably wouldn't think about it as much, but because I can't use it I keep wanting to use it. Does that make sense? It's the concept of wanting what you don't have I guess. Or it's like those ridiculous diets that deprive you of carbs or sugar, and then that's all you think about.

Last week I participated in a "No Technology Day." You turn the phone, computer, TV, etc. off for the entire day. I really loved the outcome of having the TV off for the day. Paul actually played with his toys (that is after several TV tantrums, but he eventually gave up asking). Having the computer and phone off was very difficult for me. Now that I haven't had a working phone for several days now, I think I am going crazy. Am I really that dependent on technology? I wish I could just think, oh well going without a phone for a month might be healthy for me. I am just as addicted to technology as my child. I was looking forward to having the TV off more frequently after that Off Day, but that's because it wasn't hard for ME to have it off. Am I making any sense? I think I need to get back to the basics and enjoy life a little more with my family one on one. I sure do miss my phone though.

3 comments:

Tracy Giles said...

I miss you having a phone too! I agree with the TV though. We have been having more and more days with no TV and I LOVE it! I makes for such a better day in my opinion. Lily plays with all of her toys and we just have more fun together.

Jessica said...

Sorry about your phone. I wish I could turn off the TV for a day... but I'm afraid it would be more of a punishment for me than for Sophie. I need something to distract her while I am nursing Tessa, any other good ideas?

Emily said...

Aww, that's too bad. I'm sorry. Your no technology day was a cool idea. I should try that every now and then...then I'd actually get more things done :)