Friday, February 6, 2009
Potty Training Flunky
So potty training had a good start, but somewhere it went dreadfully wrong. The first week Paul was a superstar. All but the pooping thing, but I figured it would just take a few days to get the hang of it. I am discouraged. He will go in his underwear like a diaper and not tell me he needs to go. We will be out and about and I will take him to the bathroom not realizing he's already gone. The few pairs of pants we keep using with stretchy waists are hard to tell if he's wet unless you touch them. He doesn't seem to mind being wet, and I'm talking soaked (even the socks and shoes get it). He'll just keep playing. The novelty of the whole thing has definitely worn off. He cries and whines when I take him into the bathroom now. Today I put him in a diaper and I think I'll try again this Spring. It may seem like I am giving up too soon, but the more I try the more Paul resists. I don't think he's ready.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Don't feel bad. He'll do it when he's ready. It's not like you're going to be sending him to Kindergarten in diapers: right?
They do it when THEY are ready. Megan had the same kind of fall out. Then a few months later she made the decision on her own and was potty trained from that day on! Good luck! I am sure Carson will have to start soon too. I wait until they are 3 before even trying now.
I'm sorry Susan, that must be frustraiting. I think you are smart to wait until he shows interest. Often the harder we push the harder our kids will push back and it could become a power struggle.
When my mom was potty training my oldest brother he was completely capable but wouldn't do it just because she wanted him to. So she finally just told him in December that Santa wasn't coming unless he was potty trained... like magic he was trained over night! I don't know if threats are the best idea, but it makes for a funny story anyway. :)
okay, i haven't blogged in forever! i would say you aren't giving up too quick! if a kid isn't ready, they aren't ready! plus, i say i would rather change a year of diapers rather than a month of accidents!!!!!
Bummer! I remember our first try with Lily didn't take. We waited a few months later and then she finally did it. You gave it a real try! I think sometimes you have to give it about a week to really know if they are ready. He'll do it soon :)
That's the key is being ready. Don't feel bad, I heard boys are harder to potty train and just take a little longer. A friend of mine had no problem potty training her daughter, but with her son it has been a nightmare..and to top it off she is 8 months pregnant! Hang in there...you're not giving up..just postponing! ;)
Post a Comment